Saturday, September 20, 2008

"Back Home"


I love Chicago. I loved it from the first time I heard my uncle talk about it - an arrogant professor from the university of Chicago - he made us deep dish "Chicago style" pizza and talked about taking taxis. I didn't even really like the pizza -it was "too much", I thought, but loved that there was a "Chicago style." Next to my Texas upbringing it seemed so...urban. The first time I saw it - age 17 - visiting Wheaton college sans parents...I remember taking the metra train into Northwestern station from the suburbs...I was completely smitten. A Wheaton friend recently reminded me of our freshman year - where we were picked up by undercover cops on our way to a Ukranian restaurant. Apparently we were "between two projects." I really didn't know what that meant, or care - it just seemed exciting - and a better story than who got "wasted" at a bonfire in my hometown.

Today - a million years later - I took my daughters and niece to meet a college friend. We took the Metra "into the city." I felt determined to be unaffected by my move to the suburbs (or worse, Indiana)- I mean, we lived in Chicago for a long time - in Roger's Park, Humboldt Park, Lincoln Park, the Gold Coast - we paid our "urban dues," right?

At first it was wonderful. It was as though everyone in a 50 mile radius was out to celebrate the clear blue sky on this last day of summer. And the museum was great - the girls loved each exhibit more than the last - from sponge paint to a three story ropes course - Isabelle especially, was exhilerated.

And then we were hungry and tired and our feet hurt and I realized I had become a suburban/small town mom. I worried about germs on the train and needed to get home and check on my chili in the croc pot. So on the train ride home I felt sort of disappointed in myself. When had I gotten so soft? But then I opened the door to my cozy little home - a wave of cumin and chile powder wafted towards my nose. "Back home!" yelled my two year old enthusiastically and we all four knew how glad that we were.

4 comments:

Molly Sabourin said...

Amen! I'm right there with you.

I really enjoy your blog, by the way.Even though I talk to you twelve times a day, it allows me to see more of your creative, thoughtful, articulate, and inspiring side, which I might otherwise miss out on in the noise of every day-ness.

Love you,

M

Kelleylynn said...

let us all plan a visit to the monastery, then??

Thanks for stopping by my blog. You are a blessing to Molly (I can tell) -- a rarity you find in families these days. You both set a good and pure example --Thank you!

Kelleylynn said...

Opps forgot...I really enjoy your side of things and connecting them with your family. It brings joy to my heart to see others full of pure love for one another.

paige maddex said...

Thank you, kelleylynn - You are so encouraging!